The Armed Forces of Ukraine (AFU) have made new attempts to attack in the South Donetsk direction, the Russian army is holding back the offensive, the Russian Defense Ministry said.
“The enemy’s attempts on June 4 to break through the defenses of the Russian troops in the South-Donetsk direction were unsuccessful. As a result of a complex fire defeat, he suffered significant losses and was driven back to his original positions by the morning of June 5,” the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement.
“The enemy made new attempts to carry out attacks in the South Donetsk direction in the areas of the Oktyabr state farm and the Novodonetskoye settlement, bringing into battle up to three battalion tactical groups reinforced with tanks,” the Russian Defense Ministry said.
“The enemy’s offensive is successfully restrained by the active actions of units, artillery fire and air strikes of the Vostok group of troops,” the message says.
“The Armed Forces of Ukraine are suffering losses in manpower and equipment,” the Russian Defense Ministry said.
According to the ministry, the 31st Mechanized Brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, which attacked near the settlement of Neskuchnoye, lost more than 250 servicemen, 16 tanks, 24 armored combat vehicles, including three Bradley infantry fighting vehicles. “Five Ukrainian servicemen were taken prisoner,” the statement said.
Earlier on Monday, the official representative of the Russian Defense Ministry, Igor Konashenkov, said that the active actions of the Vostok group, air and artillery strikes in the area of \u200b\u200bthe settlements of Neskuchnoye in the Donetsk People’s Republic and Novodarovka in the Zaporizhia region caused significant damage to units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine .